Monday, August 11, 2008

My Hero...My Dad

It's not everyday that you get a wake up call that makes you sit up and take notice of the things around you that could be gone tomorrow. Last month our family had one of those moments. We are very blessed to still have our Pops around. He survived an accident that would have crushed a different man...but my old man is too stubborn to go before his time. Thank Heavens.

Pops is really a one of a kind man he's tough as nails and stubborn as a bull. He's had his share of accidents and nothing seems to phase him. He was a bull rider as a "kid" and he's been kicked and stepped on and broken in more places than he can likely count. He's had is nose ripped off, and I broke it once too! He's had is heart crushed beneath a bull. He has been beat over the head in a robbery. He's tackled anything life throws at him.

He's Invincible, He's my Hero, He's my Dad.

My Old Man owns a Auto Body Shop and he has worked there his whole life, as my Grandpa owned it before he did. He's had minor accidents here and there. But last month he was (in his words) "squashed under a bus." Now no one should have survived such a squashing let alone walk away with only "minor" injuries. Pop has a broken collar bone and a few broken ribs, but all in all he's fine; scary fine. There were a number things that just worked to spare his life and I'm not foolish enough to believe that this was just another day.

I know that my Pops was preserved cause it wasn't his time to go. Thanks to the 16 year old kid he has working for him he wasn't under the bus very long. Forrest, the rescue team, jacked up the bus and pulled the old man out. Pops is of course overdoing everything since the accident; however, because he was in such great shape before he's been able to keep up with most of his work. It really is a miracle that his injuries were not greater.

An accident of this magnitude makes me realize that we may not all be quite as invincible as we think and that we should really make the MOST of what we have now and live in a way that we will not regret later. I am so thankful for the family that I have and the great examples they are to me. I will never again take for granted that I have two loving parents who are in good health (for the most part). I love my Pops more than anything and sadly measure every man I meet by him...I think I may be doomed to be alone forever! ;)

Sweet green feather boa added by my niece to make Grandpa feel better.

4 comments:

The O'Briens said...

I hate thinking for two seconds that something could take my dad away so quickly! I am so glad that everything was alright and that your dad is mostly in the clear.

Soccerbum said...

I am glad to see he is ok.

Brett & Hailey Cahoon said...

There's the man himself. I never have seen a picture of him. He does look like a good one, even in the injured pic.

Natalie Walker said...

Thank heavens he is okay! What a scary thing.