Thursday, February 07, 2008

Meet Austin

This is Austin the Altima; The Love of My Life
July 2005 took me to the Nissan dealership in search for a college graduation present for myself. I succeeded. I walked out two hours or so later the proud owner of a beautiful silver Altima. I do not post this because I have a lack of interesting things to write about, but because she is now mine. All mine. 2.5 years of back breaking payments and a thoughtful boss who has helped me avoid taxes by applying my bonus to my loan balance has given me the freedom and security of a paid off car.

This to many of you may sound a lot like boasting, sorry about that, its certainly not my intent. I only post this to express my intense happiness at paying off my beauty. I love this car, I think I love her more everyday. I fell in love with her from the great marketing when she first arrived on the market. You may remember the commercials: a large checkout scanner brings car after car across repeating "four door sedan, four door sedan...beep! beep! beep! (lights flashing all around a beautiful beast of a car) THE NEW NISSAN ALTIMA." I knew then, without driving her that she was the car for me.

I did the responsible thing of driving various cars, saving the Altima for last, and I took along the family; yes the whole family...we do things to the extreme in this family. Anyway, I'm sure it wasn't Dad's favorite, but the Altima had me won over before I ever drove her. I took her off the lot that day; with only about 200 miles on her when I drove her off the lot.

Ms Austin and I have had our moments; on the eve of her one year birthday she was side swipped by a 15 year old girl in a parking lot. To my good fortune said 15 year had her responsible mother riding shotgun and I had an opportunity to meet a woman who owns a van covered in dents an dings and harry potter stickers. What self respecting adult puts stickers on the side of a van? No offense to the Potter fans of the world, but can you say TACKY? I didn't have my finest hour when she approached me with the following comment; "we may have sort of bumped your car." I think my reaction was justified given the warning that she gave me. Sort of bumped was the worlds biggest understatement. Both doors and the rear quarter panel had to be repaired.

I was sick. Really sick. My baby was ruined. To make matters worse a week later while driving the wrecked car to Star Valley a hub cap came flying off of an oncoming van and sliced, yes sliced the front bumper straight down the middle. EKKK!!! And they say that crap happens in three's; not three day's later a rock chip broke my windshield. It was a very bad month; very bad indeed.

But I learned a valuable lesson; a car, even my car, my baby; is only a car. It was repaired and she's mostly as good as new. I'll be honest and say that I left the chip in my window to remind me that it was only a car; an object and she could be flawed. It took me a while to relax and learn, but everything has a lesson if you look for it.

Best feature: The Heated Leather Seats.

So flawed or not, she is mine and I love her.

5 comments:

The O'Briens said...

So so happy for you. Having her paid off is HUGE!! Congrats my dear.

Becky said...

Sweet! All paid off, eh? And I am with you -- you own a very very nice car.

ang said...

Jane girl, I was waiting to hear about the rental car incident while yours was being repaired!! I loved that story haha! Love that you've posted about your car-- YOURs not the banks anymore... that's truly something to cheer about.

janers said...

Oh no she didn't...ANG! I thought we were friends! ;) The rental car insident is rather a horror story and I am trying to only keep with the positive in life...so no mention of me having wrecked the rental car mere minute of leaving my beloved Austin at the dealership and securing said rental car will be posted on this blog. Nightmare...what is it they say accidents happen in threes?

Kellyn said...

I can't even read this post, I hate you money bags! Will you pay off my car next?